Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feeding an antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitebird001

Electrical
Dec 27, 2005
FR
Hi all,

I built a 29,5 MHz oscillator for RF carrier generation. When I connect a 5K resistor between ground and the output of the oscillator, amplitude is divided by 2. That means the output impedance is arround 5K.

I also built a 10 cm long antenna made of copper wire. I will use this antenna as a Lambda/4 one.

Because at 29,5MHz (lambda/4=2.5m), the antenna which is 10cm long has a capacitive impedance, I have to compensate it with a 33uH coil. (this value was computed by the use of this formula: L=(63/F)*cot(360*(h/lambda)) where L is the inductance in H, h:heigth of the antenna in meters)

Antenna and coil are serially connected, the other end of the self is connected directly to the output of my oscillator.

Coil+antenna should have a very small impedance (arround a few ohms) so when connected to my oscillator which has 5K of output impedance, coil and antenna act as a short, and oscillation may stop.

But when I watch the signal it is like nothing was connected (amplitude is unchanged) , but at the end of the antenna there is just 1% of the amplitude.

Where am I wrong?? Is it my interpretation that is wrong or the circuit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No expertise claimed here.

But if you're building a lambda/4 antenna, doesn't a null at the distal end mean that it's working exactly as it should?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Why did you pick such a tiny antenna made of wire. When you make electrically small antennas, even though you compensate then with a matching inductor, they are such weak antennas that their fairly useless. A one ohm antenna isn't common unless you're doing some simple detection device with a range of a few inches.

Make your wire longer and make sure there is a RF ground plane under your wire. If you just used a wire connected to an oscillator, the wire inherently needs a large RF ground plane underneath it or those formulas don't work. You probably used a tiny DC ground. The ground plane could be 4 wires, but they should be at least 1/4 wavelength long (8 feet each), then make your antenna wire grow in size (up to 8 feet long) until you get your results.

kch

Cheap R/C cars (from Radio Shack, etc.) often have controllers at about 27 MHz and have similarily short antennas (maybe 6 inches). Even with a super-cheap receivers in the R/C car, they still achieve control ranges out to several hundred feet while emitting less than 100mW.

With respect to the original posting, it sounds like he's found the so-called 'magic' of RF (measurements that don't make sense...). I don't think it can be diagnosed remotely.

"a ground plane under the wire" is a bit ambiguous. If the wire is run parallel to the ground plane and close to it, for example a pcb track on one side and a ground plane on the other side, that is a bad antenna. The ground plane wants to be near the feed-end of the wire and perpendicular to the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back