Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fees for Multiple repeat used of drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

marthab

Civil/Environmental
Nov 19, 2002
US
We were asked to give a price for the design of storage sheds that will be used over and over and over again. What is the best way to price this for multiple repeat uses of the plans?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope you know what you're getting into. I've seen this done over and over, with the engineer going along thinking everything's fine and then getting zapped because the drawings/design didn't cover local conditions.

If the designs are submitted for permitting, then they will likely have to be signed and sealed. If so, that should have a minimum price (Say $500). If not, then charge a flat rate per shed (say $350). Make sure your drawings and your contract with the company have plenty of caveats regarding the use of the plans, including review by local authority.

I'd emphasize the caveats that Ron suggests - put on their every design assumption, load, etc. That will constrict the use of that particular shed to a very very particular locale and also cover you if things go bad.

You might also speak with your insurance representative and see what they say. If you get an idea from your client how many of these sheds are expected to be built (might be a very rough guess) then your insurance rep. can evaluate your coverage - and the costs associated with an endorsement for that project for "X" number of sheds. That cost can be forwarded on to the client as part of your fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back