Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fellows Gear Shaper ad 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearcutter

Industrial
May 11, 2005
AU
Fellows Gear Shaper ad from the early 1900s.
Talk about an offer-you-can't-refuse!

"Now we know just what this machine will do.
Unless you have used one, you don't.
We will tell you.
Send us drawings of your gears and we will make you a positive guarantee.
Then we will put a Gear Shaper into your shop, send an operator without charge and if the guarantee isn't met and if you are not perfectly satisfied as to quality of output, we will remove the machine without cost to you."

_57_1_esvqyx.jpg

I was hoping you might like the ad mfgenggear [thumbsup2]
You and I seem to be the only manufacturers in this forum.
Imagine receiving that kind of service in this day & age.

Fellows gear shapers were the industry standard for many decades, and I love how much confidence the company had in their product as shown in the ad. The Fellows company is gone, and the Fellows name is only put on machines sold by B&K. While I doubt B&K would make the same offer shown in the advertisement, I'm sure a new Fellows shaper would have no problem meeting the performance specs published by B&K.

It's amazing how many old mechanical Fellows shapers are still around, especially the larger machines. But for most gear applications there are newer NC machines that are more flexible and can do the work faster and more accurately.

Here's a somewhat related story. A few years back I needed to have a large diameter curvic coupling machined. I had no luck finding a vendor that could do the work, so I called Gleason to see if they could recommend someone. They told me there were only two older (mechanical) models of curvic machine that were large enough to do the work. And since Gleason still provided support for the machines they were able to give me a list of vendors that had them. I called a couple of the vendors and I asked about the age and condition of their curvic machine. Each vendor said their machine was made in the 1960s, but still just as accurate as when brand new. I had no problem believing what they told me was true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back