Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEMAP model connected surfaces exploding

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAWZ

Structural
Jun 27, 2019
US
Why are my surfaces not connected? Pipe is midsurfaced from a solid import and surface meshed. Nozzle/Stiffener Rings are solid elements from a CAD imported geometry. Upper plate portions are created with surfaces and meshed with plate elements. I've tried non-manifold add feature and surface gluing. When I analyze with an internal vacuum pressure and body acceleration all surfaces explode. What is the correct way to model these connections?

femap_model_vamcoj.jpg

femap_model_bc_gjfvtq.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe there's a gap between the surfaces too big for the glued contact to work properly. Increase the search distance. Also make sure that you defined this interaction properly. Remember that connecting solid to shell may require special considerations since these elements have incompatible degrees of freedom. And that you can check your connections using eigenfrequency extraction analysis.

Also take a look at this link:

i'm thinking co-incident nodes.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

I don't really understand the issue.
Does the figures show the undeformed model? What do you mean by "all surfaces explode"?
What solver are you using?

My first thougt is like rb1957, have you merged coincident nodes?

Thomas

Maybe you don’t use Geometry->Surface->NonManifold Add, don’t forget to set reasonable tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back