Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fence Post Embedded into Existing Concrete Barrier 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdblake

Structural
Feb 27, 2009
US
My project needs a 6' Tall chain-link fence installed onto an existing concrete barrier. The chain-link fence has slats in it making it a solid wall as far as wind is concerned. My wind pressure is 15 PSF.

The problem I'm having is how to attach the posts to the barrier. The top of the barrier is only 8" wide and ACI App. D really kills me with anchor bolts spacing. I'm looking into core drilling the barrier then grouting the posts in but don't know how to check for the correct embedment depth or concrete breakout. Is App. D applicable for concrete breakout? Is there another way to check for minimum embedment depth?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The PCI Design Handbook, 6th edition, section 6.9, refers to the design of structural steel shapes embedded in columns as shelves or corbels. This is a design procedure I have used for embedded posts.

I worked with someone who had a similar job, he found that there was not enough width to prevent rupturing of the concrete. He looked at putting a strap over the top and down the sides and using Hiltis in the sides, and also, at putting a continuous tube along the top, bolted at enough places to spread the load evenly along the top of the barrier. I don't know what he used in the end. In both cases, the post was to be welded to the strap or tube.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

If it's a DOT project, you might be able to avoid App. D. We're always mounting fences on jersey barriers. If we had to follow ACI, we'd have to re-invent the barrier.

To me, a fence is not intended to be a structural member; it's to make it difficult for someone to get in or out. The App. D shouldn't apply.

Thanks for the tips. I finally got a solution that isn't extremely conservative. Now I just have to worry about the barrier overturning.

Bridgebuster wrote:
"To me, a fence is not intended to be a structural member;"

If the barrier is near lanes of traffic, and wind induces a failure causing a wreck, the lawyers will certainly disagree.

Greg

It sounds like this is a temporary solution. It sounds very expensive to do the fence customly made for this. Why cant you just do the fence like any other temporary fences and put the barrier in front of it?

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

The barrier is squeazed between an interstate and light rail tracks. Nothing can go on the interstate side and there is about 5' clearance between the wall and the end of the rail ballasts.

Instead of bolting the fance to the top of the wall or forming foundations to one side of the fence. Why not bolt the fence vertical members to the side of the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back