Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fertilizer Storage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbyNormal

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2003
KY
Was doing a quick job that was just supposed to be a feed storage building, but now they are compartmentalizing off part of it to store fertilizers.

Small facility to store dry fertilizers in bags.

Do not know the exact chemicals to be stored, I would assume the worst would be ammonium nitrate. What special needs from a mechanical, electrical systems point of view.

Spark proof? Change the air frequently? As a worst case I could just ventilate it like it was indoor fuel storage.

I apologizing for double posting, no takers in the agricultural forum.

Take the "V" out of HVAC and you are left with a HAC(k) job.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is fertilizers in drums? No fumes?
Do we need to have detectors for leakage?
Need to establish if it is corrosive (I think it is) and then comply with provisions of Table 307.7 and 414.2.4 of IBC2003.
Corrosive exhaust need SS ductwork, fan protection enamel, motor out of air stream.
Freeze protection and heat required?
Open processing will required porper protection for the electrical items.
I think if it is stored in safe drums, a simple ventilation will be adequate.

I am asking for a list of what they want to store, so far it is dry fertilizers in bags.

Year round cooling environment,no heating.

Links I have looked at were even talking about coating galvanized. This is a salt spray environment as it is, disimmilare metals in air condintioning condensers rot pretty fast, coatings extend life a bit, trane spinfin last the longest.

Check the Material safety data sheet; it typically contains information related to the storage conditions. Check reputed fertilizer suppliers sites if your client does not have own recommendations.

RGS.

Agricultural chemical storage buildings may contain a wide variety of compounds. My projects have included herbicides, pesticides, fungicides. If you can get all the data sheets on what they will have in stock you are doing well.

I don't know what the governing fire codes and building codes are in your jurisdiction. In general, once you have a list of the chemicals and amounts and height of storage racks, then you can do a code analysis. My projects have included a sprinkler system, fire alarm, ventilation with heat recovery, emergency generator, and exit lighting. The sprinkler system needs a way of storing the water flow for a certain duration. If you don't have access to a water supply then you will need a tank and a fire pump.

Sometimes they prepare mixtures of liquid chemicals that are oil based and flammable. A separate area is designated for this and is classified with negative air pressure ventilation in lieu of explosion proof electrical wiring.

Explosion relief is required for some occupancies, this is simply louvers or building panels that pop loose instead of trying to contain the explosion.

After all is said and done I wonder if it wouldn't be better to put up a inexpesive tin shed far out in the country. If it catches on fire get away from it and let it burn.

Yes , been pressuring for a list so we can look at hazmat data for the stuff.

Definitley no pesticides being stored.

Have ample intake louvers that could double as pressure relief.

The shelving is low enough not to be deemed high piled combustible storage. They will not be mixing as far as I can tell, but this question has beend asked.

We work off of the Standard Code Sets, still based on the 1999 Building Code. We were set to adopt and ammend the 2003? International, but we were hit with a bad storm here in 2004 and attention was spent recovering, the next code set adopted may be the 2006 International.

Its year round cooling, tropical climate no heat recovery, space is not to be air conditioned unless for some reason it turns out that the chemicals require it.

99.9% of the sprinkler jobs here require a cistern and a fire pump, infrastructure in place could only handle something done to 13R on a single story.

I can't see where codes mandate sprinklers just yet, what I have researched tho with fertilizers so far,is that there is a lot of concern the chemicals getring into the ground water. 125% containment on the liquids etc.

It is in a rural location, has a concrete pony wall then metal panels/roof. Like a 'butler building' with a loading dock.

stamlsimon

you mentioned generator and exit lighting. What did you have to do special with the lighting, switches etc?

Was starting to look at classes and divisions in the NEC

I guess the fertilizers will be in sealed paper bags so humidity may not be an issue.So mechanical ventilation should be adequate to take care of odours.M/V will also prevent build up of NH3 or any other gases.It may not be necessary to use special light fittings or sockets afterall.

There should not be a need to contain sprinkler water as it is a fertiliser!

Its humid here.

They tell all the farmers to store the chemicals as far from their wells as they can.

Try to air conditon the air to required storage temperature and provide humidity control if required. Try to checking out ASHRAE Applications Handbook.

If you have a classified location with flammable liquids then you have to keep all electrical switches out . I have never heard of bagged solid fertilizer putting you into a classification like this.

From NFPA 434 below. Hope it helps. There are other miscellaneous requirements.

4.2.3 Ventilation.

4.2.3.1 Indoor storage areas and buildings for the storage of pesticides shall be provided with emergency mechanical exhaust ventilation, which shall be manually actuated upon detecting a spill, leak, or release.

4.2.3.2 The ventilation system shall be designed to do the following:

(1)* It shall maintain the pesticide concentration below the accepted human exposure levels, or for a minimum of six air changes per hour, whichever method yields the higher number of air changes.

(2) The location of both the exhaust and inlet air openings shall be arranged to provide, as far as practicable, air movements across all portions of the floor to prevent accumulation of toxic or flammable vapors. Air shall be exhausted from the room directly to the exterior of the building without recirculation.

Thanks atlas, I never worked out the levels as so many different things being stored but I am exceeding the 6 changes easily.

I have a good cross flow scheme as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back