Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber Cable OSP - Water Blocking 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzp

Electrical
Nov 21, 2001
US
This is a spin off of another thread but I am new to fiber and have a little over a mile cable run to install in existing conduit. There are 48 fibers, loose tube, single mode and I was wandering which type of water protection I should request - I believe they have gel, a powder, etc but would like some feedback from our fiber experts here.

Also, is TIA568 the standard most used by the fiber world for OSP installs (in addition to NEC, IEEE) (this is in the US)?

I am aware of the FOA as well.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dry block generally makes for easier installation, leading to lower install costs. I have terminated both, and the gel filled cables take longer because you have to really clean the fiber strands to get them into fan-out kits or make them ready for splicing.

If this were going to be a direct bury install, I would suggest a gel filled cable. If this is in a conduit/duct, dry block should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back