Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber laser safety and enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krugtech

Industrial
Feb 3, 2010
US
What would be the best way to get an operational education on fiber laser safety? What does OSHA and the FDA (and any other 3 letter gang)expect? and does anyone have some real world examples?

If someone were to build a custom fiber laser cutting system, what is the most economical path to adequate safety?

We need to get ahead of this. We all know some people are running fiber lasers with very leaky enclosures. In the USA this will become very attractive to the greedy lawyers.

Does anyone remember that fiber laser running at fabtech with NO PROTECTION?! one of my customers watched it and had a bad ass headache all day.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's all self-certification, and falls under FDA, if I remember correctly; all lasers we deal with are typically covered by DoD customer requirements, so they are governed only by Z136.1 American National Standard for the Safe Use of Lasers. FDA laser stuff is here: Title 21 is the specific Federal Code that covers lasers, but it's consistent with the ANSI standard, hopefully. Aside from proving eye-safety, the enclosure would need to be interlocked so that opening covers and accessing non-eyesafe laser energy would result in power turning off

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Fiber lasers became the dominant solutions due to their cost, performance, and size advantages. However, recent application studies have shown that wavelength in the range of green and UV lasers are providing performance and flexibility advantages that provide benefits for system integrators and end-users alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back