Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber optic and or tempeature mapping/measurement systems for use during pressing process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adammil1

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2007
US
I posted this one over in the measurement forum, but have since determined that most likely the challenge I am dealing with though not specifically a composite operation is something that has been developed for the composite world.

Currently I have a process where I have a heated press that is bonding 2 materials together at high temperature and pressure over a 18" by 18" or so heated press platen. Right now the conditions between the press platens are a big black box to us, and we need to better understand what is taking place inside in terms of temperature, pressure and shear. I found the following company who apparently has a very neat fiber optic measurement system that can be embedded inside of my mold and used to measure up to 1000points per meter, of temperature or strain. Now the only thing missing is an understanding of local pressures between the platens.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with fiber optic temperature/pressure measurement systems specifically used to determine what is taking place between heated platens? If so has anyone ever worked with the guys at who are the other players in this area? Is there any other technologies out there being used to do temperature, strain and pressure mapping during the composite pressing process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back