Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber reinforced plastic duct 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraiva

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2004
CA
I am looking for some direction as to manufacturers of either FRP (fibre reinforced plastic duct) or a plastic duct with a flame spread less than 25. I am working on a project with a Hydrofluoric/Nitric acid hoods that require these ducts.

Kind regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used Poly-propylene (PP)in the past for this. It has good fire resistance properties and is an FM approved product for this application.

Maybe a custom designed FRP product is in order to assure optimum corrosion protection and flame spread rating. Some manufacturers will do their own design or you can get it engineered first and quoted to custom fabricators. Economics depend on size and quantity. For custom designed FRP you might try Good Luck.

Your application sounds similar to Perchloric Hood application. FRP duct is an appropriate system for this application. Your should have one dedicated exhaust ductwork per hood (cannot combine exhaust ductwork into one main). Your duct system should be run vertically with only one horizonal offset allowed. Ductwork should be slopped back to the hood (in case you have the horizonal section). You must have sprinkler head for ductwork washdown. PP is not good enough for this application where requirements are for temperature, fire-retardant, corrosiveness together. Exiting velocity should be at 3000 feet per minute. You should be careful with entrainment issue so that you plan your exhaust stack high enough. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back