Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fiber voids..what are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckeejrob

Military
Feb 4, 2008
US
I am filling in as the project engineer on a road project in Afghanistan, as well as a large concrete placement for some Helopads. I am reading through the design submittal and came across "fiber voids". I'm not familiar with the term and since the submittal is vague as to what exactly it is, I'm turning to this forum for guidance. My best guess is that it is expansion joint material. Am I correct or not? Also, since I'm a Home Inspector in the civillian sector and a vertical construction supervisor for the military, I will most likely have a lot of questions about the horizontal construction projects I've been assigned. I guess the powers that be don't realize the difference between experience in vertical and horizontal construction. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I admire your ability to make the connection to a control/expansion joints. I was bogged down thinking of the use of fibers for micro-cracking.

The country source of your specifications may provide a clue to the terminology. After 30+ countries, I learned there are no absolutes in construction in comparison to design.

I may be in Afghanistan starting in May, but I will be involved in projects designed by the Corps of Engineers, so there may not be a definition problem for me. If your project is from the CofE, then I will just have to be resourceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back