Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fiberglass exposed to Ozone

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKW05

Structural
May 23, 2005
US
I have been looking for information regarding the suitability of using fiberglass gratings/railings in a water treatment plant with ozone concentration less than 1 ppm in the air. It seems that understanding the ozone concentration in the information I have been able to find is elusive, and Stongwell and Fibergrate have contradictory recommendations.

Page 18/19 of the Reichold publication (link below) suggests that FRP exposed to ozone may experience etching, but this appears it may be at higher concentrations in the water phase.

Ozone Solutions rates FRP as “Poor”, however the tests are reported to have been done “… at very high levels of ozone concentration.”

Fibergrate lists both their polyester and vinyl ester resins as suitable for continuous exposure to “ozone for sewage treatment”

However, Strongwell list both polyester and vinyl ester grating and shapes as “Not Recommended” for ozone (page 18/19).

Any additional information or experiences using FRP in an ozone atmosphere would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that all the ozone resistance tables are concerned with ozone in water, not in air. Unfortunately, they don't act the same. Most of the time, we try to keep our ozone in a box, as it's pretty toxic. So if you're building gratings, you're expecting personnel to be exposed to it. One ppm is not insignificant.
After saying all that, I wouldn't expect that this concentration of ozone wiuld harm the FRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back