Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajk1

Structural
Apr 22, 2011
CA
Within about the last year, I raised the issue I think in this discussion forum about the pros and cons of using a sheet of fiberglass (6 foot x 4 foot ±) as a material to cover graves in a cemetery. The fiberglass would be placed at grade level (not at casket level). If the graves are to be covered, I would have thought concrete would have been a better, although more expensive material with which to cover them.

The subject has been recently raised again in committee, and has been run by me as a retired structural engineer.
There were a number of good responses given when I last posted this in this forum as to why this was not a good idea, viz.

a) fiberglass panels subject to damage if any grave excavation equipment accidentally ran over them;

b) how to be sure strong winds would not make the panels airborne;

c) degradation of the fiberglass under sunlight (although this might take a many years).

The proponent is proposing that the panels be anchored down against wind uplift, by a one one inch downturn around the panel perimeter, which would be pressed down into the soil when the panel is first installed, to resist wind uplift

I expressed skepticism about fiberglass panels but I have been told by a number of people whom
I respect, that they have seen such panels over graves and that they have been in place for 20 years or more.

My question now: How do I get back to those responses that were put on the forum when I first raised this issue on this forum?

If I cannot get back to the forum where I first asked questions on this subject, can current readers please respond to the above items?

I would like to print responses out to convey to the person in the committee who is proposing the idea.

Thanks very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your profile lists every thread you started which can also be accessed in the "My Stuff" tab in the upper left corner of the webpage under "My Threads"

a> Fiberglass is not a structural material, so sure
b> Is this really an issue in Ontario? You'd need surface winds high enough to lift these panels, which weigh 6x4*16 oz/ft^2 = 32 lb?
c> One can coat vulnerable materials with less vulnerable materials; Kynar seems to work pretty well w.r.t. solar resistance for aluminum roofing.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back