Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

field density test ( sand cone test) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammad Mashal

Civil/Environmental
Jul 6, 2019
JO
How can i apply sand cone test on inclinometers(high slope) layers ( base course, sub base, ...)?Is this test accurate? or i have to make another tests?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When we put the plate on the layer surface and open the cone, the sand will fall with gravity but not vertically on the layer.

That’s mean there is a space on the top will be empty of sand. In this case the results will not be accurate.

Are you compacting in horizontal layers or in inclined layers? I do not see the issue IF this is for granular pavement course. Max crossfall usually not more than 2%. I think that you are worrying too much "theoretically". Your compacted layers will not be 100% uniform in thickness. Secondly, sand cones would not "extend 250 to 300 mm. For me, I would just do a simple "normal" depth sand cone and get the results. If you are really worried, then scrape off a 100 mm or so and do another sand cone. If the material placed is a medium sand, say (river sand), then as a matter of course, you should scrape 100 mm or so below the surface and then do the sand cone. Due to traction, etc. the top, say 50 mm or so, might not be compacted to the same level. For sands, I like, if possible, to do the density tests on the previous layer.

If the slope is still under construction, I would ask some excavator operator to make a trench for you make the sand come test.

As mentioned by BigH the compaction is usually completed in horizontal lifts with overbuilt portions removed after compaction. This allows for sand cone or nuclear densometer testing to confirm the material meets its proctor specification.

Construction which uses a hoe mounted tamper or bucket compaction for steeper slopes are for areas which typically do not require meeting a specific proctor value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back