Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Field of view and focal length reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiometry

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2013
US
Hi,

My simple telescope consists of a convex lens which images an area with diameter D into the detector diameter d. The object distance is S' and the image distance is s as indicated in the upper graph. Since S'/s=D/d, if I want a smaller field of view (a smaller D), I end with up a larger s and hence a lens with a larger focal length (lower graph). What's the easiest solution to reduce my telescope tube length while keeping the same field of view, a concave lens behind the convex lens? Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your problem is not sufficiently well-defined, and, I think, beyond the scope of this forum. You should consult an experienced designer

> FOV is defined by detector/focal length, so a smaller detector also results in a smaller FOV
> Have you considered a reflective optic?
> Theoretically, you would need a higher magnification convex, coupled by a concave, but unless you have specifics about image quality, distortion, etc., that's beyond the scope of a simple question/answer forum.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back