Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fig I-8, NBCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

calculor1

Structural
Sep 16, 2007
CA
Quick question regarding note 2 attached to Fig I-8 (C and C loads) in the NBCC structural commentary. The note states " The abscissa area in the graph is the design tributary area within the specified zone". Does that mean the tributary area for the member under consideration or the area of the specified zone?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's how it's been explained to me. In all honesty though, when I design I just use 1 m^2 to determine my loads.

read it again "The abscissa area in the graph is the design tributary area within the specified zone." To me that reads you use the trib area of whatever member (stud, girt, column, etc) you are designing. The zone you are in just determines which line you pull your CpCg off of. It's their own version of LL reduction in my eyes.

Jayrod, I agree with you. I read too fast, I missed the word "tributary".

I have the french version where the word "Design" is replaced by "Theorical" due to translation. If you miss the word tributary, the sentense can be intrepreted as "The theorical surface within he specified zone"

My mistake !

That would be my interpretation as well, however a coworker asked the NRC for an interpretation and they said it was the area of the zone and not the tributary area of the member under consideration. I also checked several older textbooks and they also use the member tributary area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back