Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File conversion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBeitel

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2002
CA
Does Solid Edge require a file conversion on the front end? (ie at point of loading/as opposed to back end at point of saving)If that makes any sense.

SolidWorks requires that older versions of Model/Asm be converted to the version installed (ie 2006-->2010).

The first loading takes sometime but after it is converted and saved, the loading time is faster. Just curious if it is the same with Solid Edge as it uses the same graphics kernal (Siemens parasolid).

Take care & have fun!

Kevin
"Hell, there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas A. Edison

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be honest, I have never really noticed any conversion.It does happen, but is seamless with no warning like SW. I think..........

There is a file called Opensave.exe delivered with Solid Edge that runs through a batch of files opening and saving for upgrading to a new version.
Located in C:\Program Files\SolidEdge Vxx\Custom\OpenSave
I was told many years ago that it was best to run it before starting work on new versions.
However, most people either don't know about it, or don't bother using it.
I've never really noticed any performance hit by not using it.
The program is also useful if you use Property Manager to change a load of draft files, then run OpenSave to make sure any viewer data is updated.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Thanks Ken,
I never use it to upgrade model files now, only after using Property Manager because we found that anyone using the SE viewer would not see property text changes until the file had been opened, text updated, and then saved.
Having to do individual draft files was a PITA when you have 1000 drawings for a project.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back