Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file crashes when I copy a few elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsten

Aerospace
Mar 15, 2001
US
We're using Microstation SE. In some drawings, when I select just a few elements and then pick edit>copy, the whole session crashes. In this latest crash, I tried to copy just 5 pieces of text.
Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to use the Deldup MDL and clean up the drawing first. Second, Try to reboot your computer. Oh, one other thing go into task manager and see how many processes are going on and end task on anything that says ustation.exe or in my case geopak.exe. I always have a problem with that.

Regards,
Namdac

Are you using a workspace? Sometimes there's a conflict with a workspace and Microstation itself. I had a workspace forced on me that crashed Microstation everytime I tried to copy elements. Terrible, it was. ...until our IM department got rid of it.

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

1. If you don't know, chances are you're not using a Workspace.

2. The way to tell is, if I recall correctly (I'm not at work...), pull down the Workspace menu (it's not the same thing as using a workspace) and checking what's in the configuration and preferences and other menu items.

3. You would use a workspace for automatic CADD standard compliance. For example, the Workspace would act like an expert system and "ask" you what kind of drawing you intend on generating and naming the file, assigning the right levels, text styles, line styles, etc., etc. accordingly.

4. NetSpex, a commerical product, is pretty good at this, though it's not perfect.

5. My company tried to use an in-house workspace that was an absolute disaster. It must've "worked" on someone's computer, but something like 25 of us could barely use Microstation. Originally, we thought it was something to do with the upgrade to V8. I was so "upset" at Bentley, that I wrote an extremely detailed memo, exhaustively describing every problem I encountered - to ensure repeatability, etc. Bentley took me seriously and tried out all of my problems. V8, without the workspace, worked perfectly...

We nixed the in-house workspace.

In your case, it might be an incompatibility with whatever network settings your IM department or whomever has set up with SE.

This stinks, but... if you have the power, upgrade to V8, latest build. It's superior to SE an all respects. That should solve your problems and get you back to being productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back