Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file launch - Acad vs SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2005
US
I just recently upgraded to SolidWorks 2009 SP 2.0 When I launch a drawing in AutoCad, either new or existing, ACAD immediately launches SolidWorks. This is annoying. Something must have happened when I upgraded SolidWorks because, as you can see, now SW launches when I start a file in ACAD. I think there is a file that can be modified for the ACAD environment where this option can be removed; anyone know how to do this? Just to add to this: I unload the SolidWorks menu manually from the ACAD environment but returns when I close and re-launch ACAD. While the SW menu is unloaded SW still launches when I start a drawing. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Acad 2005
SW 2009 SP 2.0
Dell 380
nVidia FX1400
XP Pro SP 2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Opening with SolidWorks is a good thing. [thumbsup2]

Try this:
Open 'Control Panel'.
Go to 'Folder Options'.
Go to the 'File Types' tab.
Scroll down to the .dwg file type.
Click on 'Change' to open with AutoCAD.

For future reference, install SolidWorks first, then AutoCAD so additional items are not installed in ACAD.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 08; CATIA V5
ctopher's home (updated Aug 5, 2008)
ctopher's blog
SolidWorks Legion

Hey Ctopher.

I checked your suggestion and it's not the problem. Here's more detail: while AutoCad is up and running I'll open an existing or new drawing (either causes the problem)and AutoCad sez that it must open SolidWorks. I think there is some correlation between Acad and SW that happened when I upgraded SW. Thanks for your input and any other ideas, tips, etc. you may have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back