Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

File Sizes in SW 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianroth

Automotive
Nov 16, 2002
CA
We recently upgraded to SW2007 from the 2005 version and I've notice that the file sizes are larger.

For example I'll open a SW2005 part and save it in SW2007 and the file will be larger.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These alerts were posted in the SW portal but have since been removed.

The Release Notes on the SolidWorks 2007 SP0 CDs incorrectly state that the file size in SolidWorks 2007 SP0 has been reduced. This change is targeted for SolidWorks 2007 SP1, and was not implemented in SP0 as stated in the Release Notes. The file size in SolidWorks 2007 SP0 is comparable to SolidWorks 2006 and earlier.

When SolidWorks 2007 SP1 is released it will also be necessary to download a hot fix from Microsoft to see this reduction on saving. This hot fix is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article ID 922668 on the following area of the Microsoft web site:
Using SolidWorks 2007 SP1 in conjunction with the hot fix from Microsoft will, in many cases, reduce file size. Models with many configurations typically show the largest reduction in size.
Unfortunately, Microsoft has discovered a problem in their original hot fix, described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article ID 922668 on the Microsoft web site ( ). Therefore, a new hot fix will be provided by Microsoft, which will also have a new Microsoft Knowledge Base ID number. A further announcement will be posted when the new hot fix becomes available from Microsoft.

I have neither seen nor heard of the new hot fix from MS, but am running the 922668 without any known problems.
I was able to download the hot fix from (supplied by another member of this forum) but I notice the site now requires a log-in name and password.

Hopefully MS will announce a permanent solution very soon.

[cheers]

We have noticed this also. We sent a file to our VAR and received an SPR# that is supposed to be implimented in SP 2. I have not look at the EV to see if it is there but according to the customer portal it has ben fixed in SP 2.

Hey gang,

We got the hotfix from Microsoft (had to call them directly and refrence the SPR from SolidWorks), and have now noted between 50 -90% reduction in file sizes. That's with SP1.1 (I have 2.0ev on my machine, but haven't installed the hotfix yet)

Microsoft still hasn't released it as a general update since they're not 100% (or 50%?) done with testing it.

I'll add more if we discover problems and whatnot with it

I've recently used SP2.0 and have notice a decrease in the file sizes. SBaugh are you saying the with SPR341510 I may see an even greater decrease in file size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back