Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filenames, part numbers, configurations and BOMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiani

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2010
US
Hi,

I'm setting up a new group on a shoe string so no PDM, and policies yet. Here's what I'm thinking but can't figure out how to do the filenaming and part numbers. For part numbering I will be doing none specific sequence 0001234 with a dash -01, -02, ... for configurations of the same part. For the file name since we don't have PDM I want to do "PartNo, Description" such as:

0001234, Bearing Mount.sldprt
with possible configurations like:
0001234-01
0001234-02

To do the BOM I would have a separate property "PartNo" that has the part number. This most PDM like and gives me easier path to future PDM.

The problem comes with toolbox parts which do not assign a PartNo property. Note I'm willing to live with the default part names for the part numbers for standard parts, breaks my non-specific requirement but when in Roman... But, this value is in the filename and the title. I did try to use "title" property as my BOM field, but it does not follow the configuration.

So only reasonable option I can think of is to drop my desire to have the description in the file name which will make finding files a royal pain. Any suggestions?

thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, if you're using SolidWorks Pro or Premium you already have PDM, so why not use it?
Second, you can configure ToolBox. Start->All Programs->SolidWorks->SolidWorks Tools. In there you can set up part numbers, etc.

As for your configurations, is this for manufacturing? If so, what do your configurations control?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Thanks for you help. We are using a mix of mostly basic and limited seats of pro.

Ok I see if I add PartNo and make it visible it allows me to type in part number value. Same for description, is there a way to tell it to pull the default value from the toolbox part for the description.

For configurations I'm not sure what you are referring to on the manufacturing side. I'm only using them for say a rod that has six different lengths, each one being a different dash part number.

thanks,

When you bring the part in from toolbox, you can choose to list it by part number or description.

While I don't agree with using dash numbers for different lengths of rod, there isn't a right or wrong way to do it.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

We use numbered files in numbered folders,and register our parts and assemblies in a data base. Drawing numbers match part and assy file names, and exist in the same numbered folder which is fine because the extension is different. Configurations never change a part into another one, only create a different state of that same part. Assemblies do not have suppressed parts ever, so BOM's are always rock solid. Assembly configurations are used to show parts in assemblies in different positions, but never alter the BOM. I freely admit that how we use SW is NOT the most elegant, or best use of all the bells and whistles, but guess what - we never have models that blow up because files are renamed or moved, or have BOMs constantly changing due to losing control of configurations, and file naming is dead easy, it's simply the next available number in the registry. Also, with numbered filenames you don't need to think about where to save a file (or find it). I'm not suggesting that our method is the best, I can state that it is ROCK SOLID and it works.
Even if you do not adopt anyone's method, offered here or anywhere else let me stress on thing - make a plan, test that it works, and if you are sure about it STICK WITH IT. That means every one in the group. There is no room for every person doing their own thing. I know - that's where we started and it gets ugly really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back