Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

~$ files

Status
Not open for further replies.

boldfish

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2003
US
When I have a solidworks file open, a new temp file with the same name but with an added ~$ prefix is created. This file appears in the same directory as the file that I'm working on exists. I prefer to work from windows explorer and these files clutter my explorer window. Is there a way to have these files created somewhere else? An added problem is that when solidworks crashes, the ~$ files remain. I then have to manually remove them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Those are your Temp files. I've not found a way to separate them into different directories--probably cannot do so for logical reasons.

Try flipping your file name toggle so the "Z" files are first and therefore the ~$BLAH files will be last--less clutter.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

If Solidworks crashes, the ~$ files will remain but the real files should open fine as long as you were the one that left the ~$ files hanging. Basically if you work on a network and a coworker crashes, you will have trouble opening the assembly. He should be able to open the assembly without a problem. When he shuts down properly, the ~$ will go away. I have encountered this, and it is somewhat of a nuisance. But I believe it is necessary because that temp file seems to be what gives ownership of the file to one particular user in a multi-user environment. Example: If a co-worker opens a file, it will create a ~$. If you attempt to open the file, you will get a message to open read-only because the file is in use. If you delete the ~$ file, you will be able to open it with write access. No guess what... total chaos. Whoever saves the file last, wins.

This is an aspect of Windows, not of SolidWorks. I think Shaggy18VW is correct that these temp files indicate ownership. Try the same thing with two people opening a Word or Excel file.

If you do have a crash these files will remain in the directory, but you do not have to manually clean them out. Shaggy18VW is on the mark with this as well.

- - -Dennyd

the lock file gets created on all MS OS's. if you open it in notepad, it contains the PC name and user name, so if someone else tries to open a file while you have read/write access, to the the main file, the other user can get a message telling them that "MR X already has it open on PC Y), or something to that effect. if you go to the folder options in windows explorer, turn off "Show hidden files" and you wont see them anymore. however, they still get created (and left behind) but you cant see them. if you want to get rid of them make hidden files visible, then do a search (START>>SEARCH) type in ~$*.* and delete all the files in the search window. then turn hidden files off again. its odd, but if they are not visible, the search wont find them. thats what I've been doing for the past 5 years or so.

I too find these files annoying, I have found a way to Not show them. Go to:

My computer/Tools/Folder Options/View Tab/Hidden Files & Folders/ check the radio button "Do Not show Hidden Files and folders"

I frequently change this setting back & forth. If you go to your SW Temp directory to clean it out, you won't find it if this button is checked. You will have to set it back to "show hidden files & folders"

Ken

thanks scott, .bat file is so much easier. I wonder if one should be created to do the same to the SWTempBackup folder? I suppose it could be added to the existing bat file.

Ken

Not just an MS Operating System thing, this happens on Mac servers too. We use Mac servers at our company (only the SW users have pc's the rest of the company runs on Macs) and the temp files are created by the Mac system as well. A problem we had with this was that when you crashed any file that had a ~$ file associated with it would not open, the temp files had to be deleted before a user could access the actual file. We saved a search in MS that searches the server for ~$ and whenever we crash, we run the search on the CAD server and delete all returned files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back