Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fillet in skecth does not snap to any feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelkSA

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2013
ZA
When I am in sketch mode and insert a fillet, the cursor does not snap to any curve or point in the sketch. This is quite frustrating as I don't necessary want to specify a radius for the fillet.

Is there a obvious reason for this to be do and is there a way around it?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------
Here's looking at you, looking at me, looking at you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're looking for a way to create Sketch Fillets quicker without having to worry about the size, just use the 'Pencil' method, as shown in the attached video clip. You select the Fillet icon but rather then even trying to select anything, just place the cursor near the 'corner' that you wish to Fillet, hold down MB1 and drag the cursor across the two curves that your wish to Fillet keeping in mind that the size of the Fillet will depend on how far from the vertex of the corner you were when the 'Pencil' crossed the first curve. BTW, this technique can be used to create Sketch Chamfers as well.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bbeec876-4aea-4668-a13f-79364f9ea6cf&file=Sketch_Fillet.mp4
Hi John,

Thank you very much, that is handy.

I however want to have even more control of where the 'control point' of the fillet is placed (not the fillet radius).

With this I mean that if you insert a fillet by hovering the mouse near the vertex inside the two edges and both edges get highlighted, if you then click MB1 you can drag the fillet to the size you want, but the mouse doesn't snap to any feature in the sketch, so the only way I see to accurately define the fillet is by specifying the radius, but in my case I am not sure what the radius should be.

Michael

If you first draw the fillet without defining the radius (just drag it till it looks fine) you can constrain the center of the fillet afterwards..The auto dimension (if turned on) will dissapear after that. (See attached movie)

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX8.5.3 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bbf129b9-cb8c-4ea9-8e68-bfb910a7d8ad&file=Fillet.avi
Thank you Ronald,

That was exactly what I was looking for.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back