Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fillet weld or Butt weld in ISO15614? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohsen_81

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2020
NL
In ISO 15614, there are two tables for material thickness in welding. One is for butt weld, the other for fillet weld.
Do you think the following joints are butt weld or fillet?
1- T-joint, bevel-groove
2-Corner joint, bevel-groove
3-T joint, v-groove
4-Corner joint, V-groove

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm quite familiar with the 15614 series, but not with your designations.
If you post a sketch of those 4, I'll gladly comment.

partial penetration welds are to be qualified using the 15613 though.

My question is very simple. Do you know which of the following figure are fillet and which butt weld (I want to use tables 5 & 6 of Iso 15614).
I can say Figure C is fillet by sure, how about A and B?

weld_kxu8oz.png

There is a common terminology that goes around in construction circles - "full penetration fillet weld" which could be confusing.

Always stick to these two type of terminologies - butt weld and fillet weld (as correctly made by kingnero).

"Butt joints are those welds where the weld metal is contained within the planes of the surfaces of the items being joined. The weld throat may be the full section thickness, a full penetration joint, or a proportion only - a partial penetration joint. Welds may be 'single sided joints', welded all from one side, or 'double sided', welded from both sides"

For more the following link could be helpful.

DHURJATI SEN

ISO TR 25901 provides definitions for the EN ISO welding standards.
Agreed with kingnero, a and b are butt, c is fillet.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

I no body but me all three of those example are fillet welds, to me a butt well are two parts that are flat plate or sheet and are butt up to each other and are welded with any weld process.
edit: the examples above are the required penetration. thus have bevels vs no metal removed. and depending if the welds are required one side or both sides. I worked with AWS and internal company specs.

Think of it this way, a fillet weld goes on the joint, a groove weld goes in the joint.

Do not confuse the type of joint with the type of weld. Example; a T-joint can be joined using a fillet weld on one side or a fillet weld on both sides of the butting member. The T-joint could also be joined with a complete joint penetration groove weld, a partial joint penetration groove weld or even CJP or PJP groove welds on both sides of the butting member. To complicate matters, the groove weld can also be supplemented with a reinforcing fillet weld.

This is a case where the use of standard terminology prevents miscommunication.

In the world of AWS, a butt joint is one of the five common joint types; T-joint, Corner Joint, Lap Joint, Butt Joint, or Edge Joint. A T-joint or corner joint joined with a CJP or PJP groove weld is not a butt joint.

There may be and most like are differences between AWS and ISO terminology. I find it confusing to say any joint that is joined by a groove weld is a butt joint. I prefer the AWS terminology where the butt joint (both members are parallel on a common plane) is joined with either a CJP or PJP groove weld. You can't join a butt joint using a fillet weld.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back