Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fillet Weld Symbol Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's clearly not conforming to an ISO or AWS weld standard, or else that would be an intermittent weld of 8 fillets spaced 8 mm(?) apart given that the dimensions are right of the fillet(?) symbol, which is neither sensible nor matches the drawing. There is also no all-around symbol...

How thick is the repad? Best guess would be an 8mm vertical leg x 8mm horizontal leg, which an 8mm thick repad would agree with. Cross line is perplexing, perhaps some type of finish/contour to grind flat the top of the weld?

Without knowing the weld standard not much can be answered with certainty. Best answer would come from the asking the original designer for clarification.

I have no idea what that fillet with cross line means.

That is a very poor welding symbol and drawing in my opinion.

The right side of a fillet weld symbol is reserved for fillet length and pitch for an intermittent fillet weld, sometimes called "stitch" welding. Fillet weld leg size is shown on the left side of the symbol. See AWS 2.4

My best guess is that an 8mm fillet weld is required, and some kind of contouring is also required. Usually a cross line similar to that is shown above a welding symbol, and means that some type of contouring is required. Again, see AWS 2.4

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back