Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Filling a submersible enclosure with nitrogen

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2000
US
I have a submersible enclosure approx. 60 cubic feet in volume, with some mass inside to take up maybe 1/4 of the volume. Anyway, I had a Nitrogen tank with a regular set at 3.5-4.0 psi max, the tank was 90 cubic feet at 2200 psi. I was trying to fill the enclosure with around 4 psi, but when doing so the enclosure seemed to equalize at 2 psi and the gauge on top would not increase pass 2 even though the tank clearly had plenty of Nitrogen left in the cylinder. What am I missing here?

thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1)submerged enclosure
2)with some mass inside to take up maybe 1/4 of the volume.
Please clarify the above.
Is enclosure surrounded by water, etc
What is the mass initially inside and what is meant by the 1/4?

No, the unit is not in water..but the enclosure is submersible. It has a motor and other copper inside that take up the volume.

sounds like the problem is physical and not thermodynamic, there is no reason for this to happen.

I have trouble at work all the time with CO2 tanks that will plug when being used because of the change in temperature, but they are being released into the atmosphere, check to make sure you don't have a leak because if air can get into your line or regulator it will freeze and it won't go any further. Is the gas leaking out of your vessel? does the indicator on the vessel work well? does the regulator work? sounds like you need to replace or fix one part of your setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back