Filling Machine for 43% whisky 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Park View House

Chemical
Nov 9, 2020
IE
Dear Fellow Engineers,
My client is setting up a vacuum filling machine for filling very small bottles of whisky (50 ml each) at a rate of 50 bottles/min. Whisky is 43% alcohol.
Now they have located the vacuum pump next to the machine and it discharges into the production area. I would have thought that this was not good practice and it should perhaps discharge externally.
Would anyone have any views on this? The client is reluctant to discharge externally as it would represent a minor emission point for the site and would require notification to the EPA!
Any comments regarding the vacuum pump discharge would be appreciated. Also should the plastic enclosure around the filling machine be similarly vented?

Thanks in advance
Richard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do they have any flammable gas sensors?
I would think that their insurance company may have something to say about this.
What is the limit for ethanol in the air in the workplace?
The could put an absorbent filter or a condenser on the exhaust vent to prevent an alcohol emissions.
I would have thought that they would have done this with a piston machine that draws a specific volume into a tube and then discharges it into the bottle.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

There's no better way to get an alcohol rush than by absorption on the sinus membranes - thoughtful contribution from your Engg Dept to improve workplace relations.

I was curious, the exposure limit (PEL) is 1000ppm and the LEL (explosive) is 3.3%.
But the vapor density is 1.6 so this will lay on the floor looking for an ignition source.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Hi EdStainless,
Thank you for your reply. The PEL is critical and answers the question as its a factor of 33 less than LEL. So vapours from vacuum pump should be expelled to atmosphere.
Thanks again.
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back