Filter Disassembly/Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpho

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2022
US
Hello,

We are reassembling a grout plant and have dust air filters on the bentonite tank that I'm trying to find clean filters for. See photos here: [URL unfurl="true"]https://imgur.com/a/921odKm[/url]

I took off two threaded rods running from the top to bottom of the filter thinking it would come apart and the filter element would be removeable but I can't separate the element from the case. I pried a fair bit thinking the bentonite had glued it in place but don't think it will give before bending the metal top/bottom. This is from a Japanese manufactured plant and I can't find the item or details in the limited manuals I have.

Any ideas on how to separate the filter or procure new full assemblies? Simply blowing out and monitoring the filters is my backup plan but ideally we would get new filters.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can't say that I've ever seen a canister filter where the filter element wasn't glued to its flange. The filter media is typically not structural, so it can't be compressed into making a tight seal at the flange; it has to be glued in place to prevent leakage.

Seems like one could buy something close and cut off the old element and reuse the flange with rubber or silicone seals. May need to make spacers, spring elements, etc. to get a good fit

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

If they are PTFE material,( looks like it in the photos) you may be able to wash them with water.
I've had one for my shop vac for about 30 years, I just back flush it with air and rub the fins.
It's as good as new after that.

IRstuff said:
Seems like one could buy something close and cut off the old element and reuse the flange with rubber or silicone seals.

Thanks for the info, it makes sense it would be glued. Is ripping out the glued element a standard procedure or normally/ideally would you just buy a whole new flange and filter assembly pre-glued?

DAVIDSTECKER said:
If they are PTFE material,( looks like it in the photos) you may be able to wash them with water.

Got it, just by brushing and scraping a little they were cleaning up quickly and it seems like some water would get the fines out. Thanks!

It's been a long time ago, but if I recall, the filter system in the powder coat booth in a place I used to work at, had a "Back Flush" built in that would release a pulse of air to blow off the excess powder.
I believe that there were 4 really big PTFE cartridges in it.

Bake it at 500+°F or so and that will turn the glue to ash so the ends can be reused. I do not recommend this practice if the elements are PTFE as acid gasses will be produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back