Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Filtering out components in Sub assemblies, what is the best practice? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOPdesigner

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2005
US
I have seen many threads on here where John Baker tries to drive home the point of not using reference sets in assemblies. And I understand the reasoning (Example: So what I want to know is what process do you follow instead to filter out unwanted objects from a sub-assembly in a top level assembly? Example, In my subassembly, I have a couple of extra rivets (shelf state) in my exploded view to illustrate the assembly of the product at that level. That is fine, I can filter those out at the top level by suppression at the top level assembly. But what about other objects, like a KF generated arc that shows up at the top level? What best practices have you found if you don't use reference sets in assemblies?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not using reference sets in an assembly is just a recommendation, it isn't written in stone. If it works for you, it might be the best tool to use.

FWIW, here is a sort of mental checklist that I use when considering doing something "non-standard".
[ul]
[li]Is there an existing NX command that better addresses the issue?[/li]
[li]Is this or something similar addressed in the company standards (if there are any standards)?[/li]
[li]Will this confuse my coworkers? Might be time for a quick group explanation/training session.[/li]
[li]What's the worst that can happen if I do this?[/li]
[/ul]

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back