Filtration of biosolids from edible oil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp316

Chemical
Sep 21, 2004
US
All,

I am interested in finding out any information or resources on edible oil filtration. Our oil is extracted from microalgae and has biosolids cell debris in the oil after centrifugation. Thanks, jmp

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a number of sterilizing filter grades out there. They are generally pleated polymer membrane filter cartridges and will remove down to 0.2 micron, which is the smallest known bacteria size. Some membrane types are better at removing cellular debris than others, due to adsorptive characteristics. Your best bet is to contact a technical service representative and give them a sample of your oil, fluid characteristics, process conditions and quality measurement criteria. I work with a number of experts in this particular field, and they often specify end filtration of centrate. You can get technical advice from either of the following companies: Pall, Cuno, or Millipore. Each of them is likely to have a distributor in your neighborhood. Also, if you have particular questions and some specifics, I could probably get you a number of the answers you are looking for.

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

I was just on the phone with one of those representatives: for Parker Hanifin. Also, I have been working with Pall and Cuno reps as well.

Thanks for your post and Happy New Year to all.

I have been corrected by the experts here on your application. I mentioned membrane filters before. It turns out that your application will likely require more adsorptive capacity, and that cellulose depth filters will work better than a membrane. I work for Cuno. Apparently, we have our best luck in your type of application using our depth media which consists mostly of cellulose and diatomaceous earth. I'm not sure what Pall and Parker Hanifin have to offer as substitutes to this. It would appear, though, that you are already in contact with the right people. Good Luck.

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back