Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FINALLY !! Al has been epoxied!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama01

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2005
US
And the winner is...

After numerous tries to get AL to stick to itself via an epoxy, my last ditch effort using Loctite (free plug!) metal/concrete epoxy has done the trick as I hoped. It will also bond SST and AL like crazy.

So thanks for all the input and opinions, and I hope this helps someone in the future.

Now I have to worry about corrosion between the Al and SST.. Sigh.

Bama01-M.E.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bama01,

What exactly are you trying to do with the AL and SST? I am also looking to bond these two materials together so would be interested in what all you tried, what the winning adhesive was, and what the winning parameters were.

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm trying to glue SST and AL together for a product I'm going to be introducing to the market place soon. You know the drill it's gotta be cheap and quick for assembly.

HOWEVER, it turns out that when I made that post, the epoxy was about 4 hours into its curing, the bond was excellent. The next morning it snapped like a twig, thus reaching my max level of frustration. The story doesn't end there, I ran across Extreme Adhesives in NH, and their 300 series epoxy is the real deal. PERIOD. Holds super strong, and as an added bonus, for what I'm doing, it doesn't need a lot of prep work, for a super stong bond.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back