Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find Number Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

norlo

Marine/Ocean
Aug 17, 2022
CA
Hi all,

I have drawing installing a cabinet and am doing a task to upgrade the system which said cabinet belongs to. The new cabinet being installed is from the same manufacturer and is of the exact same physical configuration, so the install drawing content is not changing, the only new thing is the manufacturer part number of the cabinet. Am I able to simply swap the identification number for that particular find number in my drawing? I'm reading ASME Y14.100 D-8 for find numbers and it states that the same find number may also be used to identify approved design variations. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's pretty rare for the form-fit-function to be identical but if, for your use, the new cabinet is the same, then it seems acceptable.

The possible problem I can foresee is that a product data management (PDM) system might not like it so much to have the old cabinet configuration just vanish, but that also might not be a problem unless you have customers calling in about the old install drawing and the old cabinet part number and there's no history stored in the PDM system for it.

We used to create a control drawing - just an A-size document - with the part numbering of our company and then a list of compatible parts. Anytime a new version that was form-fit-function came along, it was just added to the control drawing so there was no change at any higher level required. Old versions can be marked "NOT FOR NEW PURCHASE" so procurement isn't running about when some bids come back as "NOT AVAILABLE."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back