Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Finding a Job by Cold Calling/Visiting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookintomyeyes

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2006
CA
Looking for some 'industry experience' as I've been in the public-sector and haven't had to look for a job in years.

My husband left his previous job without a new one being lined up. (I won't state the reasons, but Employment Insurance found his claim and reason for quitting valid, and not unreasonable.)

Unfortunately, in the last 4 months he has had several interviews, but no job offers. His technical field is less common where we live, and jobs that he is qualified for are usually posted under a more 'generic' technical specialty. (We arent willing to move as my salary is sufficient to pay our bills, and my job is basically guaranteed for life. At this point, the important thing is finding him quality work experience.)

He's now considering cold-calls to employers to ask if they are hiring, and several friends have suggested 'walking in, resume in hand, and inquiring'.

My question is - is this still considered acceptable? Would you be willing to listen/consider someone who did this?
My concern is that this would be viewed as 'inappropriate' as:
- most engineers and hiring managers have busy days, and may not be able to 'schedule in' someone who is interrupting their workday. Alternately, would it be reasonable to call as ask to 'schedule an opportunity to discuss my quals?"
- with the current state of the economy, they may be getting lots similar requests, but have no positions open, so this may appear as nagging?

Lastly - what are your views on 'unpaid internships'? As my husband prefers experience and the chance to prove himself over a paycheque, so this is also an option. However, we're a few months away from summer still, and most major employers won't consider a summer student unless you are still in school.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forget internships; they're for people who have nothing but absolute servitude to offer.

As for showing up with a resume, yes it can succeed, but do it on a Saturday morning, and walk into the shop door, prepared to work. Any shop that's working Saturday has at least enough work to go around, so that's one big issue already settled for you.

Showing up at the front door on a weekday has a smaller chance of success, but still not zero, especially if you drop off a business card or a resume that appears relevant enough to make the receptionist pass it to the hiring manager, and intriguing enough to make the hiring manager pick up the phone.

Generating a resume that's that strong is not easy; it may take hundreds of iterations to get it right, and you may, nay probably will, have to customize it for each business or type of business.

Certified Professional Resume Writers (there is such a thing) can get you closer to a great resume, faster, for a few hundred bucks, which may be effective if you have to go through HR departments.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks Mike, I'll pass along those tips.
In truth, he's had at least one interview a week, sometimes up to three, but in early all of them he's been told he either
a) he was the runner up,
b) he doesnt have enough design experience (previous work was maintenance engineering), or
c) he's doesn't have a "red seal" trade certificate that they would prefer (for the more hands-on type jobs).

Let's face it, he's trying to sell himself, and there's nothing wrong with cold calling when selling. Just don't be obnoxious, and don't expect immediate success, but definitely have at it, and don't forget to use any and all connections to see what's available.

a) Now that it's been a few months, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask politely how the first choice is working out and remind them that an alternative is still available.
b) The sensible immediate response is that his experience has given him worlds of experience in how _not_ to do design; that can be worth a lot.
c) Go get it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks again Mike, to comment:
a) He's seen a few of the jobs come up on the board again, and especially with the two he REALLY wanted, keeps trying to persuade them. Unfortunately, both companies insist on using recruiters as a smokescreen, but he's gotten the names of the Hiring Manager and Engineering Manager, so he's trying.
b) His entire resume has been tailored around it, and he's bringing a portfolio of accomplishments (incl praise from the previous employer) with him.
c) he's been in contact with the Red Seal people for quite a bit - unfortunately, they are still stating he requires an additional 1000 hours or so to meet the requirements and challenge the exam, as it seems they won't count some of his experience over the last 4 years. Most, if not all of the interviews he's had want the red seal NOW, and aren't willing to let someone complete the remaining hours. (He keeps applying though, SOMEONE has to be willing, or noone would have it!)

When I first came to Canada, a consulting firm helped me do this:
- identify persons - engineers, managers - inside the target companies (LinkedIn can help these days)
- send those persons a letter saying: "I am new here, I would like to know more about the ... industry" (insert relevant field)
- about a week later, follow up with a phone call. Say "I want to know about your field", not "I want a job"

I sent about 20 letters, talked on the phone to about 5 people and got 1 interview. They did not hire me, but gave me some more names and phone numbers at another company, that became my first job in Canada.

If those companies insist on using recruiters, then find a recruiter willing to submit his resume.

Geographically, where are you located?. If as I suspect its Canada, at least consider any mining organization or any Fort McMurray based operation. Flying to work for 2-6 weeks at a time followed by 2-4 weeks at home is becoming ubiqitous. If your husband has substantial maintenance experience he should be snapped up quickly.

And donr be put off by thoughts of " I couldnt be away from my familiy for four week" Untill you've tried it, its difficult to appreciate the positives of a regular two week break with no committments at all except to your familiy.

@Murec - that's a novel idea that neither of us had - I'll definitely pass those tips on to him!

@Miningman - yes, we are in Canada. As my husband has previously been working 80+-hour weeks before quitting, and we've had previous experience doing the 'long distance for X weeks at a time' during MY previous career, we've decided it too stressful for us, and would really be a 'last option', and temporary if that. As finances aren't a concern, a stable, predictable, and less-stresful career with good technical experience and learning is more important at this point in time.

The cold calling may not work well with the big company's that do most initial recruiting through their websites and/or recruiters.

Unless of course you're lucky enough to get to talk someone that has a say in the hiring process.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Sometimes you get lucky,
the employment climate is a lot harsher than several years ago, but I did just that when I moved to San Diego.
I simply generated several copies of my resume and drove around town handing copies in at Hr departments.
I walked into General dynamics, handed a resume to a gal behind the counter, and had my hand on the doorknob preparing to leave, when the gal yelled " Wait a minute, we have somebody who wants to talk to you.". I ended up getting a job until they closed the factory. 3 years later.
B.E.

As Berkshire says, it can happen. I'd suggest you be prepared, do your homework, and get a laser-focus. Once I saw a company had relocated to my area and I was interested in them. I had a particular skill set that matched what I thought they would need. I PING'ed my network until I was given a name with the recommendation "call this guy and ask him." I practiced my 15-second pitch, called him up, identified my referral, told him my background, skills, and asked if they might have any openings. I discovered he was the General Manager and was the ultimate decision maker. "As a matter of fact, we do." It turned into one of the best jobs ever.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Walking in with resume in hand has worked for me, both times I have tried it. One was my first job, and the other was after changing locations (countries) without having a job to go to. Being motivated helps.

One piece of advice that a sales consultant told me was to stop in and ask to see the department head or other that you know might be in the position to hire and ask for five minutes of his time. Usually that request is sufficient to get to see some one in a hiring position.

A little research ahead of time about the company personnel may be ion the Internet.

I was in a jobless pickle a while back.
First off it's hard and get's harder the longer it lasts, at least for me.

Cold calls / walking in and shaking hands inappropriate?
Those would be the people i would hire if i where the boss since they demonstrate initiative / social skills and guts.

What basically got me my job (after loads of more or less fruitless applications / interviews) was relevant work experience.
Not that it can't be done without but yes it was a major positive factor.

In case your lacking in that go find some field were they are wiling to accept that, i.e. find something that is booming and hiring like crazy so to say.

Don't stop till you succeed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back