Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding a Manufacturer's PSPICE model for an optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpelec

Electrical
Jul 12, 2005
US
We are very close to completing an OrCAD PSPICE simulation for a two-switch forward dc-dc converter, and are only missing the optocoupler.

I am now looking for a manufactuer's PSPICE model of an optocoupler with a bandwidth of at least 1 Mhz.

So far I have looked through National, Texas, Fairchild, Maxim, and Vishay with no success. Has anyone ever found such a model?

I have found some information online about creating an optocoupler model from scratch in PSPICE (e.g. but I am very keen to use a manufactuer's model from a part I can subsequently order.

Thank you for your time and help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think most people would find a part that fits the bill, then create a spice model to match, not the other way around. What is this for?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Thank you for your post.

The optocoupler sits in the output voltage feedback path, after the compensator. It is there to provide isolation between the output of the dc-dc converter and the control chip.

Am I right in thinking that you are suggesting taking the information from the datasheet of a suitable part and creating a PSPICE model - perhaps involving finding polynomials to fit curves etc..?

International Rectifer and Vishay, for example, both provide PSPICE models for their range of MOSFETS. International Rectifer also provide PSPICE models for their gate-drive ICs... Although I think I could probably create a model myself, I would greatly prefer to use one that has been created by the manufacturer...

For information, here is a link to an example of the PSPICE listing for an International Rectifer High-Side Driver:

Question

Are you looking for a real part or a model to just place into spice to complete the loop.

If you don't care whether you have a real part you can easily fabricate a very fast but unrealistic part to get on with the simulation.

If you need a real part then scan the data sheets for a parts with the speed you need then see if you can get a spice model from the manufacturer.

Making an accurate model of an optocoupler would be a fairly involved process i would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back