Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FINDING DECK BENDING MOMENTS FOR WHEEL LOADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevegar

Structural
Nov 30, 2002
US
(I posted a similar question in AASHTO forum)

Reality check is requested by engineer who doesn't often stray into the AASHTO code.

I want to find the design live load bending moment in my rc deck with main reinforcing perpendicular to traffic. Following 3.24.3.1:

S=10 ft span between longitudinal members
P=16,000 lb wheel load
M = ((10ft+2)/32)*16,000lb = 6,000ft-lb per unit strip of slab, and I will choose my transverse flexural reinforcing based on that force.

or, if my reinforcing is parallel to traffic, following 3.24.3.2:

S= 10ft between transverse members
P= 16000lb
E= 4+0.06*10 = 4.6ft
M= (P/E)*S/4 (assuming the maximum loading occurs midspan)
= ((16000/4.6)*10)/4 =8696ft-lb per unit strip and that is what i will use to choose my flexural rebar.

Am I doing this right? Many thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have a typical slab and girder bridge where the girders are the only support for the slab, the main reinforcing will always be perpendicular to the traffic.

You will often find that the cantilever moment controls rather than the interior (between girders) moment. However, at a girder spacing of 10 feet it is a good idea to check the interior.

Generally, you must check...

1. Cantilever Moment, Wheel Load.
2. Cantilever Moment, Collision Load (impact into the barrier).
3. Interior Negative Moment.
4. Interior Positive Moment.

Usually, the only time you have reinforcing parallel to traffic would be the case for short spans where the slab is supported on floorbeams.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Qshake, thanks for the reply. I've read many of your's in the past and you are a great resource.

I really could use someone specifically addressing the code articles I sited, in order to be able to get through a particular problem tomorrow. Any advice out there?

No your not doing it right. Span will not equal the clear span in most instances. Also your wheel load needs to include impact (assuming service load design).

Everything else looks right, just plug and chug, it's empirical.

"Everything else looks right, just plug and chug, it's empirical."

Thanks Koodi, that was the answer needed (I did not want to complicate my question with issues of determining span, load combinations, etc. Those are all clearly given in the code and not the problem. I think it's hard for engineers to assume anyone knows what they're doing until shown. I never do myself).

thanks again,

clevegar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back