Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finding/deleting links

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopal

Automotive
Dec 5, 2007
CA
Here is my scenario

We have what we call our "MASTER ASSEMBLY" which we use when we start a new job. It is made up of multiple sub assemblies and catparts. When we start a new job, we take this assembly and store it under it's new job number e.g. 1234

We do not change any of the files names, we add/build/instantiate components accordingly to that specific job. Once complete, we do a File/Send to/ and release all data to manufacturing on another network drive.

Problem now is sometimes when doing File/Send to, it will send all files existing in folder 1234 then also grab files with the same name from another previous job 4567.

When i do File/Save management on "MASTER ASSEBMLY" in job folder 1234, all file associated are saved to the 1234 path. Only when doing the send to is when i see the other linked files. Our assemblies our very large so it is difficult to find which files are the issue using the desk command. Is there another way to determine why there is a link to anohter job, and how to manage/remove these links. I dont fully understand how the"linked document localization" works

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since we are not usinga PDM, there is no other way to find or manage these links?

You are correct, users are doing a Save/As and not taking care of UUID.

Jopal,
Run the batch utility CATDUA. Check/Clean the template or job to remove old links.

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
R20SP7/21SP5, 3DVIA Composer 2013, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

ive run the batch utility several times on multiple files with no luck. this has worked in the past, but have not had any luck in more recent instances

I think the best way to handle the links is to use File > Send To as the first step to populate your Master assembly into your new project folder. That should help keep all the links in line.

Then when you do the second Send To operation to export the files, sort the list according to directory and don't transfer anything from the old Master directory.

Another idea that might be useful is I've found that the Send To command also respects Linked Document Localization settings. For example, you could set the Localization settings to only "Folder of the Pointing Document" when you do the Send To for exporting.

Hope that helps.
-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back