Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding Detailed Info on Old Drill Press Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutoDrill

Industrial
Nov 10, 2008
US
I have an interesting problem occur often in my line of work...

I build and sell devices that attach to the quill of a drill press or similar machine to multiply their output from one chuck to two or more.

We often need the actual physical measurements from the machine in order to build an adapter. The official manual doesn't work because they may call a 76MM quill a 3" quill for US customers, etc.

So... Often I ask the customer to take these measurements. However, often the customer is ordering the unit brand new from the manufacturer and does not yet have the unit to measure and doesn't have the time to wait (or so they say) for the unit to arrive before I start my process.

In the past, I've tried going to the manufacturer but since most of them are having their machines made overseas, it's nearly impossible to find accurate drawings or a willing person to measure an actual machine. I've also tried posting little "help me" messages in the typical newsgroups and forums where lots of drill press users are congregating. Sometimes this works.

But... I'm curious if anyone out there knows of a place (and this may be it) where I can find a large number of people who would typically own a drill press and have a caliper to take some measurements.

I generally pay the people a few $$$ to talk them for taking the measurements and/or offer a few little freebies from my stock items if appropriate.

Right now, for instance I've got a customer with a Delta 15-091 who needs to get an adapter. He is in OR. The drill press is in AZ and it's destined for MX. Getting accurate measurements may be tough since this guy works for a fortune 500 company and finding a source in their ranks is tough at best.

So... I'd welcome info on where to best post my "help me" messages. Also, if you have this Delta machine locally, let me know. We can work something out.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: Multiple Spindle Drills: Flagship Site:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back