Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Finding force acting on the spring 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollingcloud

Aerospace
Aug 9, 2022
US
A torque meter with a triangular slab extension is inserted into a corresponding triangular slot. The C-shaped arm features a V-shaped dent on which a roller is seated. This roller is held in compression by a spring. The roller's positions are labeled '0' for the initial state and '1' for the final state. The torque meter reads 40 in-lb when transitioning from state 0 to state 1. My goal is to determine the force exerted on the spring during this transition. My plan is to find the lever arm distance 'r' and use it to find the force. Then, using the pressure angles, I can determine the force component acting in the direction of the spring. Concerning the torque reading, if the extension length from the torque wrench socket to pivot A is 1.5 inches, does this mean that the actual torque applied at point A is 46 in-lb? The highlighted length represents the extension/adaptor. Is this the correct approach?

tq_zpssqcb8ey9.jpg.15d79bbe2dcc21297c3ac92318c917d2_syldsm.jpg

Capture2_cfebum.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Rollingcloud

I doubt you will get a correct answer using your method. Instead I would measure the difference in height of the spring between the positions 0-1 marked as x in your diagram and then then obtain the distance between the pivot point on the cam and the roller position and divide this distance into the 40inlb to obtain the force. An easier way would be to measure the spring stiffness of the actual spring and then multiply it be the value of x in your post. To get the distance I am referring to you need to measure the horizontal distance from point A on your diagram to the position of 1 on the same diagram.[pre][/pre]

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

isn't it just the compression of the spring ? the difference between 0 and 1 ? ... for the spring force.

for the force applied to the link, that's a different question.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back