Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding properties of GFRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdonov

Civil/Environmental
Mar 18, 2018
BG
Hi guys,
I am working on a project where I have to design a bench out of GFRC.
I have currently casted 6 tiles (0.5x0.3x0.02m) so that I can practice mixing and trying different mix designs (different amount of cement, fibers, etc.)
Soon I will do a test on by tiles in order to find what load they can take (I am interested in the tension).
Before I do my study I want to be able to calculate the compressive and tensile strength of the concrete mixes. Do anyone know how I can find that?

Let me give an example:
Say the concrete mix is of strength C50/60, to that mix I add glass fibers with tensile strength of 1700 N/mm2 (in the concrete mix I put 2% of the cement weight).
How do I find the tensile strength and compressive strength so that I can get an estimate of what shear force the plates can take?

Thanks,

Tsvetan Donov

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tdonov....you can't "calculate" compressive strength of concrete. Mix designs are empirical, with developed curves over many years of experience and testing. The water-cement ratio controls the strength.

I suggest you get a copy of "Design and Control of Concrete Mixes".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back