Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finishing options for aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

njlee

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2001
US
Hi All,

What are the finishing options for aluminum part with blasted surface finish? I'm looking for some kind of coatings/platings/... which can protect the part from stains/scratches and normal cleaning agents. I also need to keep the natural aluminum color (dull silver look), so I guess some kind of clear coating or silver color plating will be fine.

I am designing an aluminum part which will be manufactured by either investment casting or die cast. It will be sandblasted. However, after handling the part for a while, fingerprint stains were all over the part surface and they are not easy to remove.

thanks,
lee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In addition to anodizing, you can investigate organic coatings. For example, aluminium alloy wheels for automobiles have a clear acrylic powder coating applied to them. Try Dupont, BASF, and PPG.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Clear coating over anodize will give the best protection. Alcoa has been selling Dura-Bright® aluminum wheels for commercial vehicles since 1994. From the description and illustration on their website it appears to consist of a buffed finish (brushed is optional) protected by a clear anodize layer and a top layer of clearcoat.

Alcoa also markets (what appears to be) a similarly coated Dura-Flange™ wheel for applications where loads are heavy and prone to shifting, causing tire walls to rub against the wheel rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back