Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

fire alarm monitoring of fire protection water tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvsubstation

Electrical
Aug 5, 2003
US
I have an underground water tank for the sprinkler system for a high school. There is a float switch which monitors the water level of the tank with a solenoid valve which opens to fill the tank when the water level is low. How do I tie this into the fire alarm system to initiate a trouble condition if the water level of the tank exceeds a criticial level (i.e. the tank is not filled with water when it's supposed to because of a failed solenoid valve or cut power wire, etc.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds like you are looking to monitor at least two conditions: Low float condition and power to solenoid valve.

Some manufactures produce a dual monitor module, otherwise you may need 2. In order to avoid installing the monitor module outside, you could run wire from the devices being monitored to the monitor module(s) in a conditioned space.

Troubles should clear automatically once the condition is restored. Therefore, you should get a low float trouble, which would resolve when the water level was restored. Lack of power to the solenoid valve would show a trouble until power was restored independent of the low water trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back