Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire Buggy as a lternative to the fire truck 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engr. Mohammad

Mechanical
May 29, 2023
SA
Dear Members,

I have a resort project where the internal roads width is variable between 3 m to 4.0 m. is there any code referene to waive the minimum roads width of 6m and use a fire buggy instead of fire trucks.

Your feedback supported with a code reference from international building codes is highly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this not a discussion between you and the AHJ?
Which code and section states 6m so we don't all have to trawl through the numerous codes looking for it??

My guess is how do you control traffic / stop parking and ensure you have access to all required areas?

Unless compliance with NFPA is written into local legislation they are all subject to local conditions and approval by the relevant authorities.

You may need to compensate by having other fire systems in place such as sprinklers, hydrants or locating fire equipment in more than one place / having smaller more mobile units. All depends on how strict your AHJ is.

The devil is in the detail so I don't think you'll find any building code references that you're looking for.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

What are you trying to protect a building or a potential for a brush fire access? As a firefighter and Pre-fire Planning officer if it’s any structure we will need a road wide enough to have access to all firefighting equipment needed ie engines, tankers, truck/ladder, support equipment etc etc. Areas to turn said equipment around. Any fire hydrants, fire flow requirements, does the building have a fire sprinkler system? Definitely a discussion with all AHJ involved particularly the fire department.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back