Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire case for HC water mixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLar

Structural
May 12, 2010
NO
I am calculating relief cases for a system with a water HC mixture. My question is does anyone have a good idée how to calculate the heat of vaporisation for the mixture?
If I take the enthalpy of the mixture in vapour phase (at due point) minus enthalpy of the mixture in liquid phase (at bubble point) I will get some kind of average of the required heat input to evaporate the mixture (and rise the temperature). But the actual heat of vaporisation can change a lot from start to the end.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Having tackeled the same problem in the past, I can tell you
one can get any and all answers based on the physical property set used.
I once tried many different combination using PROII simulator. Never obtained consistency.
Be very skeptical of anyone who claims there is a right method.
My current strategy is to calculate two cases.
One case 100% hydrocarbon.
One case 100% water.
Make sure the safety valve will handle both cases.

A HC-water mixture is no different than any other mixture of differing boiling point components. The initial heat will boil off the lightest component first and so on. You can do a series of flashes, starting off with 1% to get the first HC and then continue from there. The response by Chance17 is essentially the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back