Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire Dampers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisflood

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
IE
Hello All!

I am looking for information on Fire Dampers which will be installed along ETFE lined Stainless Steel ductwork. The duct system is extracting acid exhaust, thus it will be lined to resist attack from the acid exhaust fumes. The fire damper must be capable of withstanding the same acid attack. Can anyone tell me of a known manufacturer or supplier of these dampers, from whom i may obtain a detailed specification.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would try to avoid the dampers to begin with. Can you avoid going through a rated wall? Why not build a fire rated chase around the duct so a damper is not required? I know not of a fire damper that is rated for acid funes, but since some are 2 hr rated, they might.

(meaning NFPA-45 says no FDs in hood exhaust. Looking at my first response, it reminds me of that Saturday Night Live episode where the boss said "you can never have too much water in the reactor," then went on vacation leaving the staff wondering what he meant)

I did an assay lab one time, the exhaust duct had to go up through other tennant spaces to the roof. The chase as suggested here by trashcanman was the solution.

Agreed. It might also help to buy "Flamebar" ducting for vertical risers through some areas, which negates the need for 2-hr wall construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back