Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire Hydrant Flushing Meter - Totalizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jartgo

Civil/Environmental
Oct 20, 2005
US
Does anyone know of a hydrant flushing meter that would totalize flow? That is, the folks flushing the hydrant could then report total water used during any particular flushing event, without timing the flow at each hydrant. Cost is certainly a consideration. Just looking for ideas at this point.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A number of electromagnetic flowmeters have advanced electronic
counters and would accept a varied flow, and periodic or continous report. Data could be transmitted by wire or wireless, continously or peridodic, or records over time could be picked up at site.

At least in Europe (EU and elswhere) wireless pickup of information is an upcoming issue for common houshold meters. Program and product developmentand flourishing for all types of flowmeters.

Search worldwide for information!

So I've pretty much decided that the most economical and reliable method is just to use a pitot type gauge (similar to bimr suggestion) and a stop watch. Also wanted to clarify some of the other suggestions, the standard hydrant meters that some suggested, are for "selling water" out of a hydrant, and unless Im misunderstood, wouldn't be appropriate for flushing, where you want a high flow (could be 1500gpm). I suppose one could fabricate the device using an appropriately sized turbine meter, but I'd hate to be the one to carry it around, and it would be an awkward fit at best supporting it's own weight from a hydrant connection.

In summary, I think I was wishing for something that doesn't exist, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back