Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire Hydrants and Building Sprinkler Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dredger01

Civil/Environmental
Oct 10, 2016
US
I have a small site with a single story building(7,000 sf) that will have a fire sprinkler system. It will be supplied by a 6-inch fire line off the public 8-inch main about 150-ft distant.

The local water authority is saying I may also connect a private fire hydrant off this 6-inch fire line. It will be the hydrant closest to the FDC connection on the building.

Seems problematic to me to have the fire line which supplies the building sprinklers, to also supply to the nearest fire hydrant (which in an emergency, would be used to charge the FDC connection).

I haven't found anything specifically prohibiting this, anyone have an opinion on that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is typically done so that the fire department can pump from the fire hydrant into the sprinkler system through the FDC. This provides higher flow to the sprinkler system than you would get with just system pressure.

HTH

I would also be concerned that this is a private fire hydrant. You normally want the District to maintain/flush these hydrants and not the building owner.

You should first do an evaluation of the water supply to the sprinkler by taking into account one or two hose stream deduction, depending on the requirement, from the proposed fire hydrant. One hose stream is equivalent to 250 gpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back