Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire proofing, concrete beam, minimum dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender36

Structural
Mar 5, 2007
DE
Hi all,

currently I am involved in a project in Egypt wich we design according american Codes and Standards. As I am not that familiar with the fire protection demands according american standards, I was searching for help in the web when I found by accident this references.

I would be very kind and helpfull if somebody could give me a brief information.

Our client demands fire protection F180 (3h) for all structures. As we have accoding our german DIN a table, wich gives minimum dimensions (width of beam, thickness of concrete cover) I was seraching the ACI and the UBC code for informations - without a result.

Do you know a minimum dimension for a reinforced concrete beam, and where I can get that information ?

Best regards from Mumbai,

MARTIN REDDIG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CONC COVER (IN) FOR FIRE RESISTANCE RATING:
TYPE FIRE RESISTANCE
0-1HR 2HRS 3 HRS
COLS 1-1/2 2 2-1/2
BEAMS 1-1/2 1-1/2 1-1/2
SLABS 3/4 1 1-1/4
WALLS 1-1/4

Dik

Fire-Resistance-Rated Construction is covered in chapter 7, of both the Uniform Building Code and the newer International Building Code, which is used by most US buulding code enforcing agencies.

In the case of the UBC, the prescriptive fire resistance provisions you seek are found in Volume 1.

Check the following references in UBC Volume 1 and IBC:

Columns, beams, girders, trusses--UBC Table 7-A, item 5/IBC Table 720.1(1)item 5

Walls--UBC Table 7-B, item 7/IBC Table 720.1(2)item 4

Floor and roof--Table 7-C items 1-5/IBC Table 720.1(3)items 1-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back