Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire Protection Coverage Area Determination

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobinson1

Mechanical
May 2, 2008
US

Some technical expertise on this very critical issue of fire protection would be most appreciated.
I've got a Class 1A flammable liquid storage area inside of a building that is required to be retrofitted into an existing facility. The IFC states the following:

1. 0.60 gpm/sq ft over an area of 5000 sq ft in a Table (another chapter in the code indicates that for hazardous materials "ordinary hazard group 2 with a minimum 3000 sq ft coverage".
2. 750 gpm minimum hose stream demand

A. Regarding number one above, I am assuming that I must use the square footage given, even though my actual area of the building storing the 1A flammables is only 500 sq ft. Please confirm.
B. Regarding number two above, I am assuming that the 750 gpm counts for both inside and outside hose streams and that I will not need any additional hose allowance. Please confirm.

So, based on the above, am I correct to assume that my new sprinkler demand is (0.60 x 5000) + 750 = 3750 gpm? (I've only seen a max 2500 gpm fire pump in the field, so this makes me think this approach is wrong).
Or, do I only consider my actual area of coverage and go with (0.60 x 500) + 750 = 1050 gpm? Please advise.

Logically, I would think you only apply the density to the area you actually have, but the code verbiage indicating "minimum design area" has taken me aback, and now I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back