Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fire protection improvement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q5n8ceVE

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2005
US
i am having hard time designing for fire protection improvement for normal open doors..i am looking for devices which will not allow entry to the where fire or smoke was detected but occupants can exit and can function either way..it is a two door swinging type..PLEASE HELP.....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Questions:

1) Are these doors in an egress path?
2) Are these doors penetrating a fire barrier or fire wall? If so, what is the fire resistance rating?
3) Is the building protected by automatic sprinklers?
4) Is the building in the U.S.?

I've never seen a fire rated door assembly as you have described. The fundamental question is once folks have exited from a compartment or area that is involved in fire, why would want them to re-enter this area?

Please post more information

I think you want and electrified lockset that will provide free egress from the secured side out, and remain locked from the unsecured side. Have the door held open with a magnetic door holder controlled by the fire alarm system, so that it will release upon smoke detection.

Holding the door locked from the non-fire side will keep out the fire fighters. Not a good idea. Electric lock systems almost always unlock in case of fire to allow firefighters in.

I hope this isn't an off-topic. Please help a layman out..

I'm doing a translation into English, the document is Technical Specifications for a Fire Protection System of a high-rise building. I cannot find the proper name for the waterpipe that's used for fire-fighting purposes. Is it fire watermain? Fire waterline?.. (Not the little sprinklers and stuff.. the whole kit'n'caboodle system). Many thanks :)

katie127 (Structural)

standpipe system

and there is class I, class II and class III designations, they are covered by national fire protection assoc standard # 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back