Fire Pump Connected at Shared Transformer Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy91082

Electrical
Jan 22, 2009
US
This is in regards to 2008 NEC:

I meet the requiremenst of 695-3(C) for multibuilding campus style complexes on the primary side of transformers. And i have an on-site emergency/standby generator. I would like the fire pump feeder to connect directly to the secondary of the transformer and ahead of the main switchboard breaker in lieu of going to a seperate section in the main switchboard ahead of the main breaker. The feeder serving the main building switchboard will also terminate at the secondary of the transformer.

Question: Do the fire pump conductors need to be seperated at the transformer secondary from the conductors serving the main switchboard? I can't find any language in Article 695 that requires seperation. The transformer is VPI type (1000kVA) and is large and has hinged doors so not sure how seperation would be achieved internal to the transformer if required.

Thanks.
b

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You posted on 5th May and there have been no answers - I take it people are having some reluctance to answering this one....

Having read 695.3 for the first time I can only advise about the reference to article 230.82(5) which states:

"Systems such as emergency lighting, fire alarms, fire pumps, standby power, and sprinkler alarms are permitted to be connected ahead of the normal service disconnecting means only if such systems are provided with a separate disconnecting means and overcurrent protection."

I am having some trouble understanding anything more regarding what you are asking for separation of conductors - has this answered your question?

Thanks Blooz. I talked with the local AHJ and he was ok tapping directly at the secondary side. There is no physical way of seperating the conductors at the secondary transformer terminations. We have a seperate disconnecting means for the fire pump located within sight of the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back